Notice of Request for Proposals for the Creation and Implementation of a Combined GIS for the City of Weirton and Weirton Water and Sanitary Boards
The City of Weirton’s Planning & Development Department (City) is issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a combined geographic information system (GIS) for the City of Weirton, WV.
The goal of this Request for Proposals (RFP) is to solicit a Statement of Qualifications and Proposal from professional planning and urban design consultants, engineering, and architecture firms that have expertise in the hardware/software, development, operation, training, and maintenance of GIS, specifically:
- Gathering of the Data and Developing the Layer System
The Consultant will work with the City and its respective boards to develop a base map that uses the Hancock and Brooke County Assessor’s web page as a base map with full functionality. Additionally, each Department/Board will be able to view each other’s layers but not edit them. The main user departments will be the:
- The Weirton Water Board – ability to edit water system layers.
- The Weirton Sanitary Board – ability to edit sanitary sewer layers.
- The City of Weirton Planning and Building Department - ability to edit storm sewer, planning, zoning, and development layers.
- The City of Weirton Public Works Department - ability to create and edit storm sewer and roadway layers.
- Set up of Esri Web Based Account
The Consultant will use the information gathered in Task 1 to coordinate with the City of Weirton and Esri. The Consultant will work with Esri to set up the City’s account to create a new web-based account for the City to use as it chooses to develop maps and create work orders as needed.
The Consultant will work with the City of Weirton to develop the various user groups. These groups will be clustered by City Department. Each department will have the following user types and the access by user group. These groups are identified as:
- Manager User – This account will have supervisory ability to perform and overwrite any of the accounts below.
- Technician User – This user would be able to view, read, print, edit, issue work orders, create maps, and save changes to the data base.
- Clerk User – This user would be able to view, read, print, create work orders, create maps from the data base.
- Field Users – This user would be able to view, read, print from the data base.
The Consultant will work with each of the identified departments and boards to develop a single set of specifications to provide the respective users with the laptops, servers, and tablets needed to maintain and operate the Esri maps in the field and office as outlined above.
- Limited Software Training and Maintenance
The Consultant will work with the City to provide two (2) one-hour sessions of training for each user group on how to operate the system. This training will be at the City’s facility.
The Consultant will work with the City of Weirton and its Boards to maintain the mapping and update the respective mapping once a year. Forty (40) hours per Board or department is budgeted. This work will be on an hourly rate bases, if needed.
The Consultant hired must meet the following qualifications:
- Academic and/or professional certification in the GIS field or closely related field;
- Working knowledge of GIS and associated systems with respect to hardware/software, development, operation, training, and maintenance;
- Evidence of prior experience in working with municipalities to implement GIS or similar new systems/programs;
- Ability to work with the City of Weirton and Water and Sanitary Boards to have a functional GIS in place by December 30, 2023. The project will begin no later than July 1, 2023.
Expression of Interest:
Those interested in submitting a proposal for the project should submit one (1) digital copy and four (4) bound copies of the following items to City of Weirton Planning Department c/o Mark Miller, Director of Planning and Development, 200 Municipal Plaza, Weirton, WV 26062 or .
- All submissions must be in an enclosed envelope clearly marked “City of Weirton – Planning Department, GIS Project”
- Project Proposal describing scope of work for the project and a proposed time frame and budget. All budget costs shall be guaranteed for 60 days following the date of bid opening.
- Resume or CV of individuals assigned to the project including information on experience with similar planning projects
- Three examples (either print) of the firm’s best previous work illustrating expertise relevant to this project;
- Three references from previously completed projects including contact names, telephone numbers and email addresses.
(All proposals must be received by the City of Weirton, no later than 2:00 pm (EST), Friday, May 26, 2023.)
The City of Weirton will review all proposals and select a Consultant based on:
- Comparison to the scope of work, including budget provided by the bidder.
- Experience with past projects, including GIS mapping, implementation, updating/maintenance.
- Proven ability to complete the project in a timely manner.
- Past performances and references.
Applicant selection will be based upon submission materials with follow up interviews at the City’s discretion. A contract will be negotiated at a reasonable fee with the most qualified firm. Members of the Planning Department/City of Weirton Staff/Director’s will make their selection for interviews within two weeks and will endeavor to complete a contract with the selected firm by June 2, 2023.
The Consultant will be reimbursed for services rendered and will not be reimbursed for travel or other expenses. The Consultant will be paid according to the agreed upon contract typically withholding a portion of the payment until the final product has been received and approved by the City of Weirton and its participating Boards.
Additional information regarding this project may be obtained by contacting:
Director of Planning and Development
City of Weirton
200 Municipal Plaza
Weirton, WV 26062
304-797-8500, Ext. 1020
The City of Weirton reserves the right to reject any or all proposals, to waive any informalities or irregularities in any proposal received, and to accept any proposal which is deemed most favorable to the City of Weirton.
The City of Weirton is a fair housing and equal opportunity city and a minority and women’s business supporter.
In accordance with City Ordinance No. 973, codified as § 783.01 and attached hereto, a five percent (5%) preference for Resident Vendors is in effect, provided said preference is invoked in writing.