Sanitation & Recycling
The City of Weirton Sanitation / Recycling Department consists of 15 full time employees who are committed to providing the citizens of Weirton with the best refuse and recycling service possible.
Sanitation/ Refuse Collection Rates
The current charge for refuse collection in the City of Weirton:
- $17.98 monthly flat rate
The charge will be included in conjunction with your monthly utility bill.
Sanitation/ Refuse Collection
Refuse collection for the disposal of ordinary household refuse takes place weekly.
Curbside recycling is for the removal of co-mingled metal cans/glass and co-mingled newspaper /corrugated cardboard. Recycling is picked up on a bi weekly basis.
Special Pick Ups
The city provides an additional service to pick up larger household items on an as needed basis. For a fee, the city will pick up the items at the curb of your residence. You must complete the attached form and staff will meet with you to discuss your request.
Citywide Clean Up
The city has semi-annual citywide cleanup of household materials and appliances. This cleanup is typically held in the Spring and Fall months.
Lawn Clippings & Yard Waste Collection
Lawn clippings and yard waste, properly disposed of, are also collected weekly, however, only on a seasonal basis.
How to prepare your lawn clippings and yard waste:
- The materials must be presented in separate containers clearly marked yard waste.
- Containers shall have a maximum capacity of 30 gallons.
- Brown Paper Lawn & Leaf bags will be accepted.
- Material will not be accepted in plastic bags or cardboard boxes.
- Yard waste must be placed at curb set separate from recyclables and regular garbage.
- Yard waste consists of grass clippings, leaves, and shrub trimmings.
- Shrub trimmings must be bundled, and no bigger than ½ inch in diameter.
- With the exception of Christmas Trees, large branches and limbs will not be accepted.
- If trash is mixed with lawn waste, service will be stopped.